|Chapter 1. General View of County Wicklow. page 5|
|Chapter 2. The O’Byrne's and the Shiring of Wicklow. page 9|
|Chapter 3. Total Conquest. page 13|
|Chapter 4. The Penal Laws. page 19|
|Chapter 5. Towns, Stately Homes and Some Forgotten People. page 26|
|Chapter 6. Agriculture and Industry. page 37|
|Chapter 7. Communications. page 48|
|Chapter 8. Lifestyles. page 54|
|Chapter 9. The 1798 Rebellion. page 61|
|Chapter 10. Wicklow County Gaol. page 69|
|Chapter 11. Population Trends. page 74|
|Chapter 12. Wicklow on the Eve of the Famine. page 76|
|Chapter 13. Bibliography. page 79|
The County Wicklow Heritage Project would like to thank the following for their invaluable assistance in the production of this book:
- Aras an Uachtaráin
- Tom Broderick, County Development Officer
- FAS Heritage Advisory Service
- M.K.I. Fields, External Training Manager, FAS Dublin South & Wicklow
- John Finlay, Chairman, County Wicklow Heritage Society
- Brendan Flynn, Local Historian
- Anne Ford, Branch Librarian, Wicklow
- Brian Fox, Positive Image
- Maureen Gelletlie, Hunter’s Hotel
- Joe Hayes, County Librarian, Wicklow
- Con Hogan, Wicklow County Council
- Roif Loeber, Historian
- Carmel Moore, Assistant Librarian, Greystones
- Michael Mulvaney, Training Officer, FAS Dublin South & Wicklow
- Fr. James Murphy, P.P. Kilbride and Bamdarrig
- National Archives
- Conor O’Brien, Avondale Chemical Company
- Pat Power, Local Historian
- Chris Quinn, Senior Training Officer, FAS Dublin South & Wicklow
- Eddie Shaw, Regional Director, FAS Dublin South & Wicklow
- Blaise Treacy, Wicklow County Manager
- Wicklow Press Ltd.
The research, illustration and writing of this book was carried out by the County Wicklow Heritage Project.
Co-ordinators: Joan Kavanagh, Sean O’Connor, Fiona Walsh.
Trainees: Mary McCall, Trish Loughran, Hayley Dover, Sharon Noctor, Anne Doyle, Adrienne Parsons, Elva Duffy, Sinead Ryan, Glenn O’Flaherty, Laurie Whelehan, Wendy Kavanagh, Maria Wynne, Matthew Kennedy.
Additional research was carried out by trainees who worked on the Project from July 1991 to May 1992 who were: Marguerita Shanahan (Co-ordinator), Laurence Bourke, Caroline Cuffe, James Doyle, Thomas Doyle, Adele Dunne, Audrey Earls, Jo-Ann Furlong, Catherina Flynn, Kathryn Kelly, Ariadne Laurenns, Stephen Malone, Joseph McGauley, Roy Mitchell, Sandra Murphy, Michelle O’Reilly, Claire O’Toole, Seamus Ryan and Denise Stockdale.