Motortax Services

Replacement Documents

If you require a replacement document for any of the following, form RF134 must be completed and witnessed by a member of the Garda Siochana at a Garda station and presented or posted with the appropriate fee to your Motortax Office.

Cheques should be made payable to Wicklow County Council.

The Motortax documents which may be replaced and their cost is as follows:

Weigh Dockets

A computerised weight docket is required in the following circumstances:

  • When taxing a goods vehicle for the first time. 
  • Where there has been a change in the unladen weight of the vehicle or if no unladen weight is recorded for the vehicle. This usually happens when an alteration is made to the vehicle since its registration with the Revenue Commissioners.
  • When a new or imported used goods vehicle is being taxed for the first time
  • Where there is a change of ownership since the last taxing

Vintage & Veteran Vehicles

A vehicle is classed as a vintage/veteran once it is 30 years old from the date of manufacture. If the vehicle owner does not have the appropriate registration documents and the Motor Tax office is unable to trace any details of same from the National Vehicle Driver System or from older records retained by the appropriate Local Authority then the vehicle will have to be re registered with the Revenue Commissioners and a new registration number issued.

Trade Plates

Trade Plates are special registration plates obtained by motor traders/repairers. They are basically dealer plates issued to motor traders in order to transport vehicles on the road which may not yet have been registered or taxed. The uses of these plates by motor traders/repairers are restricted to legitimate uses in connection with the motor trade e.g. not used before 06.00am or after 10.00p.m. They are issued for a period of one calendar year. All Trade Plates are issued with effect from 1st January and expire on 31st December in the same year.

Recovery Vehicles

A "recovery vehicle" is a vehicle, which will be used exclusively in connection with the lifting, towing and transporting of a disabled vehicle. Vehicles used in the transportation of plant and machinery such as low loaders are not considered to be recovery vehicles and therefore must be taxed at the goods rates.

Public Service Vehicles

Public Service Vehicles are vehicles that carry passengers for a fee. These vehicles qualify for a reduced rate in tax. PSV's are separated into two categories:

Small Public Service Vehicles - SPSV (Vehicles capable of carrying a maximum of eight passengers such as taxis of hackneys)

Large Public Service Vehicle - LPSV (Vehicle capable of carrying more that eight passengers such as buses)

Small Public Service Vehicles

Hackneys are not allowed to park on streets and cannot be hailed.

Private Vehicles

At the moment Motor Tax Offices do not request NCT certificates. Customers are advised however that they are still obliged to have their vehicle NCT tested even though the Motor Tax office is not looking for same. Vehicles over 4 years old must have valid NCT and then every two years after.


Subscribe to RSS - Motortax Services