Wicklow County Arts Office has a developed in the last number of years a series of strategic approaches to supporting the artist, arts participation and art-form development. These have been realised through the extension of projects and programmes which have seen the Arts Office act in varying roles of production, collaboration, curation and commissioning.
During the lifetime of the next development phase from 2014- 2016, we intend to consolidate the role of the arts office in strategically cultivating the arts, continuing to produce new and exciting work in the county and to remain ambitious about what is possible. Our intention through this call is to move towards the realisation of this intention through partnership.
Purpose & Nature of Scheme
Wicklow County Arts Office is seeking applications from interested parties for funding to collaboratively develop and deliver new projects of high quality and impact during 2015 which will enhance and complement the Arts Office strategic development of the arts in the county. This is the third year that this scheme has been offered. Successfully awarded projects for 2015 included proposals from Kiera O’ Toole, Dominic Stevens and Francesco Turrisi, further information on these projects can be obtained here.
The Arts Office is particularly interested to hear from national resource organisations, individual curators and artist collectives who have the potential to propose projects which will nurture practice, create connectivity, generate new perspectives and voices within the cultural life of the county and support a diversity of approach.
Proposals should be for new initiatives which add significant value to arts practice, experience and participation in Wicklow and support the Arts Office strategic goals for the arts in 2016.
This programme is open to individuals and organisations from Ireland across all arts disciplines. Reflecting the balance of other elements of the Arts Office programme, the Arts Office would particularly welcome strong applications in the art-form areas of literature, film, architecture, artist development music and the visual arts.
The Arts Office is open to all imaginative projects. By way of example (only), such initiatives might result in the following outcomes:
- Development of artist collective(s) /community(ies) of practice within the county
- Inter-regional collaborations by County Wicklow based artists for work to culminate in presentation in the county
- Development and/or presentation of ambitious new work sited / situated in the county
- Projects which will create strategic connections for artform development
- Initiatives which propose high quality public participation opportunities
- Initiatives which may increase artists’ communication in the county
Scale of the Programme - funding available
The total amount of the fund available is subject to finalisation of the Council’s own funding for 2016 but is likely to be a maximum of €30,000 for the final year of the programme.
The Arts Office may fund projects to a maximum of €15,000 as a result of this call. The Arts Office will particularly welcome applications where the support from Wicklow County Arts Office may form part of a wider budgetary framework for the initiatives proposed by applicants. In such cases, applicants are asked to specify confirmed other sources of income which may contribute to the application.
Applications will be assessed on the following basis:
- Artistic merit
- Impact on arts Practice, development and participation in County Wicklow.
- Quality of ideas presented
- Track record of applicant individual(s) or organisation(s)
- Financial and operational feasibility (with particular reference to likelihood or evidence of other necessary finance being available)
- Adherence to the conditions and guidelines for application
The closing date for applications is Friday the 26th of June 2015 at 5pm.
Applications should be posted only before the deadline to Arts Officer, Wicklow County Arts Office, Station Road, Wicklow Town, County Wicklow.
Email applications WILL NOT be accepted
Any queries on the guidelines or application process should also be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be assessed by a panel of assessors engaged by Wicklow County Arts Office during August 2015 and applicants will be notified of the Arts Office decision shortly thereafter.
All applicants will be informed in writing of the decision in relation to their application.
What is not eligible:
- Projects which are in train and/or near completion
- Initiatives which do not display a high quality or developmental approach
- Those which work outside a budgetary framework with a large amount of unconfirmed support
- Substantial administrative costs within a proposal
- Capital costs
- Those which are proposed to be realised outside County Wicklow
- Undergraduate applications
- All successful applications are subject to the availability of funds. Funding may be divided or withheld at the discretion of Wicklow County Council.
- Wicklow County Council will enter into an agreement for the management and delivery of proposals with successful parties, subject to tax clearance and proof of insurance
- Applications must be complete and have all the requested enclosures
- Successful parties will be required to complete a short report and income and expenditure statement on how the project has been realised
- All projects must take place in and benefit either or both artists and residents in the county
- Projects proposed must be for realisation in 2016
- Wicklow County Council reserves the right if deemed necessary to pursue other selection processes for these projects
- The decision of Wicklow County Council in the award of funds is final
- A communications plan will also be agreed with successful parties as part of the management strategy
- Award of Funds is subject to availability
- Late and or emailed applications will not be accepted
Applications should be returned to:
NEW STRATEGIC PROJECTS Jenny Sherwin Arts Officer Wicklow County Arts Office Station Road Wicklow Town County Wicklow