Wicklow Harbour, Chart No. 633, 1121, 1411, 1468
To all ship owners, shipmasters, agents, fishing vessels, pleasure craft users, harbour users, seafarers and fishery organisations.
Wicklow County Council Fuel Bunkering Policy
Wicklow County is home to several Blue Flag beaches and a Special Area of Conservation.
Vessel Owners / Skippers have a responsibility not to pollute the sea, and to be aware of the laws about oil pollution.
Masters, Skippers, Owners, Operators and Users are specifically reminded of the following points in relation to the transfer of fuel oil in connection with propulsion and auxiliary machinery and the consequences of a violation under the Sea Pollution Act, 1991 (fine €1270 or imprisonment):
It is the responsibility of vessel operators, owners and skippers to ensure that arrangements are made with fuel oil suppliers in order to comply with regulations.
Throughout the fuelling process, Skippers are to ensure that a safe system of working and safe working practices are followed in accordance with all regulations.
- Vessels scuppers are to be plugged
- Fuelling operation to be monitored by on-board personnel at all times
- Means of sounding each tank should be available e.g. sounding rods/tapes and a reliable tank gauge
- Particular care is to be taken when nearing completion of fuelling
- Fuel filters are to be disposed of as per the Wicklow County Council Ports and Harbours Waste Management Plan, which provides for disposal facilities for waste oil and waste oil filters. Harbour Staff are available to assist
Any spill including type and quantity is to be reported immediately to the Harbour Master.
20th April 2020