Head of Finance: Brian Gleeson
The goal of the Finance Department is:
"To provide and promote the best financial management and accounting standards and practices throughout the County Council."
About the Finance Department
The Finance Department plays an important role in the support and delivery of services in Wicklow Local Authorities. It deals with the financial management and financing of the authorities’ operations, both of a revenue and capital nature, across all programme divisions:
- Housing and Building
- Roads Transport and Safety
- Water Services
- Development Management
- Environmental Services
- Recreation and Amenities
- Agriculture, Education, Health & Welfare
- Miscellaneous Services
Capital expenditure is financed by Government grants, development contributions and borrowings. The Council’s operational expenditure is defrayed from sources such as:
- Commercial rates
- Local government fund
- Government grants
- Charges and fees (Housing rents, planning fees and other fees).
The primary objectives of Wicklow County Council's Finance Department are to:
- Achieve the financial objectives of the Council’s corporate plan
- To provide and promote the best financial management and practices throughout the Council
- Manage the financial affairs of the Council
- Ensure that statutory and financial accounting principles, which apply to all County Council financial transactions, are complied with
- Ensure that adequate internal controls are in operation to safeguard the assets of the organisation, and ensure, as far as possible, the accuracy and reliability of the accounting records
- Ensure that value for money is achieved throughout the organisation
The Finance Department has responsibility for:
- Financial and management accounting - including preparation of revenue and capital budgets, and the Annual Financial Statement
- Management of long and short-term finances, including investments and borrowings
- Development and improvement of financial systems
- Accounts Payable
- Accounts Receivable
- Internal audit
Delivery of service
This service involves the payment of wages and salaries for all staff of Wicklow County Council. This includes the administration of statutory and non-statutory deductions and making all relevant returns to statutory and other bodies. Including pensioners and councillors, there are over 1,000 employees in Wicklow Local Authorities.
Deals with the administration of the pension scheme for all staff. Estimates of future pension entitlements are calculated on request.
We operate a central invoice processing function. Invoices are matched with approved purchase orders and processed for payment on a weekly basis. Creditors' accounts are monitored and all statutory tax returns are processed. Accounts Payable is responsible for making payments for goods and services to trade suppliers, payment grants, and staff expenses.
This section is responsible for the administration and debt management of the following:
- Housing Loan accounts
- Commercial rates
- Other income streams
Payments can be made to our revenue collectors through your bank and at the revenue desk. The desk is located at our headquarters in Wicklow Town. The opening hours are Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm. Cash, cheques and debit/credit cards are accepted.
This is an integral part of the corporate governance process and contributes to the effective administration of the organisation through providing an independent review function to management.
The Finance Department has responsibility for the Council's insurance portfolio. This includes arrangement of appropriate insurance cover, payment of premiums and the processing of insurance claims.
This section is responsible for overseeing our compliance with local, national and European procurement legislation and guidelines. It works in close conjunction with the regional and national procurement sectors.