GREYSTONES WALKING TRAIL
The Greystones Walking Trail was officially opened by Cllr Derek Mitchell, Cathaoirleach of Greystones Municipal District, on 26th June 2018.
The eight-kilometre trail goes from Greystones train station to Kilmacanogue and connects to the Sugar Loaf Way, via the Burnaby, Kindlestown, Bellvue Hill, Kindlestown Woods, Ballydonagh, the Glenview N11 overbridge and Quill Road.
Access to the walking trail is well served by public transport from Greystones DART, Dublin Bus routes 184, 84, 45a, and Bus Eireann route number 133.
The Wicklow Uplands Council plan to open a walk from Kilmacanogue over the little Sugar Loaf to Bray later this year which will link into the Greystones Way and enable a circular walk of about three to four hours. It is hoped that the new route will eventually connect to the Vartry Reservoir walks at Roundwood and the Wicklow Way.
Greystones Municipal District Councillors allocated their tourism budget for two years to develop this walk.
2021 Road Works
Restoration Improvement Schemes
L-1028 - Windgates - 1450 m - €217,500
L-1030 - Bellevue Hill - €237,908 - 640 m - Completed
L-5046 - Sea Road, Kilcoole - 810 m - €101,250
L-5047 - Ballyronan Road - 1540 m - €192,500 - Completed
L-5542 - Kilquade Road - 650 m - €81,250 - Completed
Restoration Maintenance Schemes
L-1030 - Bellevue Hill - 1235 m - €18,525 - Completed
L-1028 - Templecarrig Road - 1514 m - €22,710 - Completed
L-5041 - Old Downs Road - 971 m - €14,565 - Completed
L-5049 - Kilmullen Lane - 1750 m - €21,000 - Completed
L-5065 - Blackditch Road - 1455 m - €17,460 - Completed
L-5550 - Sea Road Newcastle - 1520 m - €22,800 - Completed
No funding for 2021
L-5542 - Kilquade Road from Ballyronan Road junction to Woodstock Road junction - €1000,000 - Completed
Safety Improvement Works
Knockroe Kilcoole Road - €30,000 - provision of signalised controlled pedestrian crossing - Civil works completed - awaiting electrical installation
Local Improvement Scheme
2nd round of funding awarded for scheme on Cliff Road, Windgates
NTA Active Travel Measures
1. Windgates R761. Completed. Cost €253,569.73
2. Unnamed Road L-1026 (by Lidl) Completed. Cost €211,822.67
3. Delgany Wood Avenue L-1025 Completed, Cost €284,123.90
4. R761 Kilcoole Rd footpath Allocation €100,000. Advance works to commence 26/10/2021
1. R761 Lower Kindlestown Road. Upgrade on road cycle lanes to off road 1.cycle track €175,000.
2. Bellevue Hill. Provide footpath Completed. Cost €282,431.93. Extra funding to install public lighting has been approved by the NTA.
3. R761 Bray to Greystones. Pedestrian/Cycle infrastructure improvements €50,000. Application made to the NTA for €330,000 to:
a. Install buff surfacing on road over the 50km/hr zone
b. Construct segregated cycle climbing lane on northbound lane on south side of Windgates
Outdoor Infrastructure Fund 2020 (Covid-19 Works)
1. R762 Church Rd, Greystones. Remove on street parking to provide extra public space for pedestrian and business activity. Budget €125,000. Cost €147,438.10, 100% Complete
2. R762 Rathdown Road. Narrow existing excessive road carriageway width, varies from 6m to 8m; to a constant standard 6m width. Budget €20,000. Cost €24,642.27, 100% Complete
3. Cliff Road. Section from junction with Sidmonton Place to Harbour development. Budget €165,000 Completed. Cost €139232.62. Waiting on the ESB to move 3 ESB poles.
4. Cooldross Lane, Kilcoole. Complete footpath and cycle track on northern side of the road. Budget €90,000. Cost €228,610.78, 100% Complete
Additional Outdoor Infrastructure Fund 2021
Convent Rd, Delgany Village, trial one way system to provide footpath space. Allocation €120,000
Greystones Municipal District Discretionary Funded Schemes
Killinacrraig Village Renewal Scheme
1. Kimberly Rd footpath renewal completed.
2. Grattan Park Upper new footpath installation completed
Climate Adaption Measures
1. 2020 Beechwood park, Kilcoole €50,000. Works are 90% complete
2. 2021 The Cove, Greystones. €70,000 Awaiting quotes
Age friendly parking spaces installed on Killincarrick Rd to assist with the elderly accessing Church Rd via on street parking
Burnaby Park outer paths refurbished under Town & Village Renewal fund 2020
Paths in old section of Redford Cemetery refurbished
Railings at steps to the sea at the Cove replaced
Refurbishment of Golf Driving Range commenced
Planters installed on Church Rd, Delgany inside the flexible bollards previously installed to prevent illegal parking