The Clean Coast Project was established by An Taisce to improve the environment of the Irish and Welsh coasts, and to restore the aesthetic appeal and increase the amenity and economic value to the community and visitors.
It aims to do this by:
- Running an environmental award scheme called the Green Coast Award
- Involving local communities in beach management called Coastcare
In Ireland, the Clean Coast Project is currently being run in Counties Wicklow, Meath, Dublin, Wexford and Waterford. The project is largely focused on the establishment of local and community voluntary Coastcare groups who 'adopt' and manage stretches of coastline. The project is open to all, and anyone wishing to get involved will be welcome.
For more information about the Clean Coast Project, please contact:
Clean Coast Project Officer
An Taisce Environment Education Unit
5A Swift's Alley
(Off Francis St)
Phone: (01) 400 2220 / (01) 400 2221
Read more about the Clean Coast Project
Green Coast Award
The Green Coast Award acknowledges beaches that meet EC bathing water quality standards, but that are also prized for their natural, unspoiled environment. A "natural, unspoilt environment" means that the special character of such a beach may not be compatible with the level of infrastructure and intensive management generally associated with more urban, traditional seaside resort beaches. The award is applied for by the local authority.
The award is objective-led, which encourages 'best practice' in management of rural beaches and emphasises community involvement in their management. Green Coast Award beaches demonstrate clean water and sound environmental management.
Beaches eligible for this award will generally:
- Be managed carefully and in consultation with conservation organisations, so as to take into account their environmentally sensitive nature in the management plan
- Have considered the design and location of facilities and signs, whether close to or distant from the beach, so as to minimise their visual impact on the landscape
- Be cleaned of litter sensitively without removing natural debris such as driftwood and seaweed