As our population continues to increase so do the demands on our national water network. Wicklow County Council is urging everybody to conserve water whenever possible.
Water conservation is everybody’s responsibility!
By conserving water we can:
- Reduce the cost of producing water
- Reduce the environmental impact on our rivers
- Save energy
Simple tips to conserve water in the home
In the kitchen:
- Always turn your taps off tightly so they don’t drip. A leak of just one drop per second can waste 10,000 litres of water a year!
- Don’t run water continuously while washing dishes
- Only use dishwashers and washing machines when you have a full load
- Keep a bottle of water in the fridge, instead of running the tap for a cold glass of water
In the bathroom:
- Install a low-flush toilet (uses 6L or less) or fit a water-saving device in your cistern like a Hippo Bag
- Have a shower instead of a bath
- Install low-flow shower heads
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth
In the garden:
- Use a water butt to collect rainwater from your downpipe to water your plants and garden
- Sweep driveways instead of using a power washer - this can save up to 200 litres a time
- Use a watering can to water plants/lawns instead of a sprinkler or hose
- Wash the car using a bucket, then quickly rinse using a trigger nozzle on your hose
- Mulch around garden plants to conserve moisture and reduce the need for watering