Wicklow Local Sports Partnership (LSP) was established in 2008 by Sport Ireland and is one of a network of 33 LSPs across the country.
The aim of Wicklow LSP is to increase participation in physical activity among specific target groups across the county.
Functions of the LSPs
The three main functions of the LSPs are:
- Information - establish a consultative forum, initiate research, compile a sports directory and database, and identify needs and resources to form the basis of local planning
- Education - provide quality opportunities for education and training at local level, provide training courses targeting volunteers, and provide access to sport specific courses through the national governing bodies (NGBs) of sport
- Implementation - develop a strategic plan for local sport, appoint a professional administrator, secure related support services, select participation programmes for LSPs modified to suit local needs, increase the impact of national programmes delivered locally, and market and promote sport
Role of the LSPs
The key aims of the LSP are to increase participation in sport, and to ensure that local resources are used to best effect. Some of the outcomes we seek are:
- Club development
- Volunteer training
- Enhanced planning of sport at local level
- Local directories of sports bodies & facilities
- School, club, community and national governing body (NGB) links
- Increased levels of local participation, especially amongst specific target groups such as older people, girls & women, people with disabilities, unemployed people, and those who live in identified disadvantaged communities