Arklow Town is associated with a long maritime tradition, with its harbour situated at the mouth of the Avoca River. This marine facility is located within' a short walking distance of the town centre and the local shopping centre on the North Quay. On 1 January 2012, the management of Arklow Harbour transferred from Arklow Harbour Commissioners to Wicklow County Council.
Throughout the years, there have been a number of boat-building businesses located around the harbour area. Today the businesses operating out of Arklow Harbour include ship-owning, a shipping agency, a leisure vessel marina operation and shipping services. On the North Quay, the head office of one of Europe's largest shipping companies is located. This company had been in existence for over 50 years.
The harbour has an active fishing sector, with fish catches including whelks, herring and mussels. There are two marinas based in this area, one privately owned and operated, and one owned and operated by the local authority. These two marinas facilitate both local and overseas leisure craft.
Also based around the harbour are a number of leisure and outdoor clubs and organisations. These clubs includes Arklow Sailing Club, Arklow Harbour Sea Angling Club, Arklow Sea Scouts and the Arklow Rowing Club. Many events are held by these clubs in the harbour throughout the year.
An off-shore windfarm, with seven turbines, is located approximately six miles from Arklow Harbour. The company for this energy resource utilises the harbour for the operation and maintenance of these turbines.
The lifeboat station in Arklow was established in 1826 and was the first lifeboat station founded in Ireland. An all-weather Trent Class lifeboat operates from this station.
There are Harbour Rates in place for utilising this marine facility.
Paul Ivory, Senior Marine Officer
Eircode: A67 ED 91
Phone: (0402) 32466/(0404) 67455
Mobile: 087 057 5938