Living  /  Services  /  Environment  /  Recycling & Waste Management  /  Litter Management  /  Signage Guidelines

Signage Guidelines

Information on temporary signs, which are subject to strict guidelines and may require a permit.

Guidelines on temporary auctioneers' signs

  • May be erected on the property being sold/let. Size of signs allowed dictated by planning regulations (Class 9, Article 6, Part 2 Exempted Developments - Advertisements - Planning and Development Regulations 2001, S.I. No 600/2001). However, they must not interfere with Road Safety (Roads Act, 1993) or harm the amenity of the area.
  • May be erected on private property not being sold/let provided “the person is authorised in advance to do so in writing” by the landowner concerned. Again rules of size (planning), safety (roads) and amenity (environmental) come into play.
  • Auctioneer’s signs may not be erected in a public place (very wide definition) except where a licence is obtained through planning.

In the latter two categories, auctioneers' signs are offences under the Litter Pollution Acts 1997 and 2003 (Section 19 (1)) unless the landowner has given approval in advance.

The litter fine will specify removal within seven days. If not removed, a new fine should be issued.

Signs on private land are exempt from planning until seven days after 'sale agreed' goes up. After that it would appear to be a planning matter.

Guidelines on temporary commercial signs

These guidelines are subject to the same restrictions as temporary auctioneers' signs. Cars for Sale signs in a public place are also considered litter under Section 19 (1).

Temporary Sign Permits

Planning regulations specify three classes of sign promoting charity, sporting or cultural events as being exempt under the 2001 Regulations:

  • 16 – Local event of a religious, cultural, educational, political, social, recreational or sporting character not being an event promoted or carried out for commercial purposes (fund raisers).
  • 17 – Visit of travelling circus, funfair, carnival, show, musicians, players or other travelling entertainment.
  • 18 – Demonstration of agricultural methods or processes on the land which the advert is exhibited.

All these should, however, have Temporary Sign Permits.

How to apply

In order to obtain a Temporary Sign Permit, the applicant will be asked to submit the following:

  • The name, address and telephone number of the person responsible for the erection of signs and on whom responsibility will fall to remove the signs
  • Details of the type and size of sign to be erected and including materials to be used in the making of the sign (paper signs covered with plastic not allowed)
  • Proposed wording on the advertisement including details of charity benefiting from the event and also registration number
  • The number of signs proposed to be erected
  • A map indicating where it is proposed to locate the signs

Details should be sent to:
Water and Environmental Services
Wicklow County Council
County Buildings
Wicklow Town

Phone: (0404) 20100
Fax: (0404) 67792

Where a permit is issued, the placing of signs will be subject to conditions. Conditions may include, among other things, size, location, time and duration of erecting signs.

Policy on Advertising Signs

  1. WCC Policy on signs

    File type .pdf