Motor Tax

Living  /  Services  /  Motor Tax  /  Certificate of Roadworthiness

Certificate of Roadworthiness

Information about the Certificate of Roadworthiness, which is required for certain vehicles.

A Certificate of Roadworthiness (CRW) is required for certain vehicles namely:

  • A Motor Caravan
  • Mechanically propelled vehicles, registered for one year or more, used for the carriage of passengers with more than eight seats, not including the driver, eg buses
  • Goods vehicles, registered for one year or more, having a design gross vehicle weight of not exceeding 3,500kgs (to be tested as light goods vehicles)
  • Goods vehicles and trailers, registered for one year or more, having a design gross vehicle weight of over 3,500kg (to be tested as heavy goods vehicles)
  • Ambulances and all emergency vehicles, registered for one year or more
  • Recovery vehicles
  • Mobile workshops or vehicles taxed at the mobile workshop tax class that have a body type classified as a van

A current CRW is required for vehicles over one year old. If no CRW exists, the vehicle must be tested at an appropriate test centre.

Any vehicle tested after 30 September 2013 will be issued a CRW through the post.

If you do not have a current CRW for a vehicle that would be included in any of the categories listed above, you cannot tax the vehicle. You must have the vehicle tested by an authorised tester. A list of authorised testers in your area is available from your local motor taxation office.

It should be noted that a CRW can be recorded against vehicle regardless of tax class.

Failure to have a current CRW certificate is an offence under Section 18 of the Road Traffic Act 1961. Conviction for this offence carries five penalty points and the courts may impose a fine of up to €3,000 and/or up to three months’ imprisonment.