Free Recycling of Household Electrical and Electronic Goods
Due to the introduction of the new Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Regulations 2005 your electrical and electronic household equipment will be taken free of charge for recycling nationwide. From the 13th of August 2005 producers of WEEE (manufacturers, importers, assemblers, etc) will be responsible for the recycling of waste electronic goods.
Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) includes:
Fridges, freezers, dishwashers, cookers, washing machines, tumble dryers, microwaves, small electrical appliances, televisions, video recorders, IT and telecommunications equipment, electrical toys, sports equipment, lighting equipment, power tools, medical devices, phones, fluorescent tubes, etc.
- As a householder, who can take back my waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE)?
Consumers have two options when disposing WEEE:
- Retailers will take back electrical goods on a one for one, similar for similar basis e.g. an old TV for a new TV within 15 days of purchase of new item at the store or within 30 days if delivered. The old item may have been bought anywhere.
- Civic Amenity and Recycling Centres may take back household electrical goods free of charge.
- What notice, if any do I have to give before dropping off WEEE at a Civic Amenity/ Recycling centre?
Householders can dispose of WEEE during the opening hours of the Civic Amenity/ Recycling centres (Excluding the last hour of business).
- What can I do if the shop refuses to take back my WEEE?
If you are bringing back WEEE that is a similar type or fulfilling the same function as the new item that is being purchased the retailer must take back the WEEE. If the shop refuses to do this or charges you, contact Wicklow County Council on 0404 20100.
- Can retailers charge for taking back WEEE on delivery of a new product?
No. One for one take back is free regardless of whether this happens at the retailer’s premises or on the delivery of a new product. However, the retailers right to charge for the delivery of the new item of electrical & electronic equipment is not affected
- Can retailers offer price reductions or discounts to avoid their take back obligations?
No. Article 14(6) of the WEEE regulations prohibits retailers from offering price reductions or discounts in order to avoid their take back responsibilities.
- The retailer has to give at least 24 hours notice of delivery. The waste equipment (WEEE) must be available for immediate collection and disconnected from any electrical, gas or water supply. If less than 24 hours notice was given the retailer must arrange and collect the WEEE within 15 days of the date of delivery.
- If the waste equipment (WEEE) is not available for immediate return the retailer is not obliged to collect it unless you were given less than 24 hours notice of delivery. The purchaser can deliver the take back WEEE to the retailer’s premises within 30 days of the date of delivery.
- Are shops that only sell specific types of EEE e.g. Hairdressers obligated to take back my WEEE?
Yes, the legislation applies to all retailers, irrespective of size, selling electrical or electronic equipment. All retailers must take back WEEE on a one for one basis i.e. similar for similar.
- Can retailers make alternative arrangements to fulfil their one for one take back obligations?
Yes, once the arrangements have prior agreement with Wicklow County Council and the alternative is not more difficult for the purchaser and is free of charge. The alternative arrangements must be advertised by yellow signage at the entrance to the premises stating the alternative.
- What if I purchase EEE by means of distance communications e.g. internet, mail orders etc?
The retailer has to give at least 24 hours notice of delivery and the WEEE must be available for immediate collection and disconnected from any electrical, gas or water supply - in the same way as for goods bought in a store. The purchaser can deliver the WEEE to any or every place of business in the State from which the EEE is distributed and/or an address in the State that is occupied by an employee or agent, within 30 days of the date of delivery.
Environmental Management Costs
Retailers are obliged to show you at the time of sale of new products, the producers’ costs of collecting, treating and disposing of WEEE in an environmentally sound way. These are known as Environmental Management Costs (EMC) and must be described as “Producer Recycling Fund” on receipts, signage and advertisements. However, the retail price quoted to consumers must be inclusive of the EMC.
A full list of EMCs are available from Wicklow County Council.
Categories into which WEEE must be segregated
|CATEGORY OF WEEE||EXAMPLES|
|Fridges and Freezers||Fridges and Freezers|
|Small WEEE||Toasters, vacuum cleaners, clocks, telephones (not mobile or hands free), Lawnmowers etc.|
|Small WEEE containing hazardous components||Hands free phones, printers, flat screen monitors etc.|
|Large bulky household appliances||Washing machines, clothes driers, dish washers, cookers, electric hot plates, microwaves, food processors, fans, electric heaters, radiators without oil|
|TVs/ Monitors||TV set and non flat screen monitors.|
|Fluorescent tubes and energy efficient light bulbs||Fluorescent tubes and energy efficient light bulbs. Ordinary bulbs are taken separately.|
|Smoke alarms||Smoke alarms|
|Mobile phones||Mobile phones (Ordinary or hands free phones are taken separately).|
For a full listing contact Wicklow County Council’s Environmental Awareness office
Please note that retailers and civic amenity / recycling centres are not obliged to accept goods that are contaminated. Please ensure that the items are cleaned out and no liquids are leaking from them.
|CIVIC AMENITY / RECYCLING CENTRE||PHONE NUMBER||ADDRESS||OPENING TIMES|
|Bray Recycling Centre||01 2116666||Beechwood Close, Boghall Rd., Bray||Mon-Fri: 9.30am to 4pm
Thurs: 9.30am to 6pm
Sat: 9am to 2pm
|The Murrough Recycling Centre||0404 64120||The Murrough, Wicklow Town||Mon-Fri: 9am to 5pm
Sat: 9am to 2pm
|Arklow Recycling Centre||0402 32759||Croghan Industrial Estate, Arklow||Tues-Fri: 10am to 4pm
Sat: 9am to 2pm
|Avoca Recycling Centre||0402 35472
|Ballymurtagh, Avoca||Tues-Sat: 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 4pm|
|Rampere Landfill||059 6481677||Baltinglass||Mon-Fri: 8.30am to 4pm
Sat: 8.30am to 1pm
Please note that WEEE will not be accepted at Wicklow County Council sites in the last hour of business