Wicklow County Council has an Energy Team whose purpose is to plan and implement energy saving measures across the Organisation ensuring that all services are involved in delivering energy efficiency measures across the Organisation. The Team has worked on an Energy Master Plan for the Organisation, supported by the Three Counties Energy Agency, identifying how and where we use energy. They have compiled a register of opportunities identifying what measures can be taken to improve the energy performance in our buildings and operations. Measures have been assessed on how much energy will be saved, costs and payback time.
Each year the register of opportunities is used to identify projects that will be undertaken in the coming year either through Wicklow County Council’s own budget or part funded by grant. Each year Wicklow County Council applies for funding under SEAI’s Better Energy Communities programme to help fund works.
The Energy Team is led by the Housing directorate which has the largest portfolio of buildings under its management including Council headquarters County Buildings. The Team also has representation from Climate Action, Planning and Environment, Transport and Water Services, Community and Economic Development, the Library Services and Clermont College.
A wide range of projects have been achieved to date including:
- Upgrade of lights and light fittings across all buildings.
- The ongoing refit of public street lighting to LED with public lighting being the biggest single consumer of energy for the Organisation.
- Solar panels on leisure centres and library roofs.
- Insulation upgrades in many buildings.
- Heating systems and heating control system upgrades in many buildings.
- An electric forklift to replace diesel in one recycling centre.
- A planned solar carport to provide electricity for County Buildings.