Living  /  Services  /  Housing  /  Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS)  /  Information for Landlords

Information for Landlords

The Rental Accommodation Scheme allows landlords to rent out their properties on a long-term basis.

Landlords can avail of the Rental Accommodation Scheme, which is run by local authorities to allow landlords rent out their property on a long-term basis.


If you are getting Rent Supplement for a long period and you are in need of long-term housing, you may be eligible for the Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS), which is run by local authorities. The local authority makes the final decision regarding who is eligible under the scheme. In general, people who are getting Rent Supplement for more than 18 months are considered for RAS.

A significant difference between RAS and Rent Supplement is that tenants who take up full-time employment can stay in RAS, with a recalculated rent – see ‘Rates’ below.

It is intended that the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) will eventually replace RAS. However, you cannot transfer from RAS to HAP.


Under the Rental Accommodation Scheme, local authorities draw up contracts with landlords to provide housing for an agreed term for people with a long-term housing need. The local authority pays the rent directly to the landlord. You may continue to contribute to your rent but you pay this contribution to your local authority, not to your landlord.

The key elements of the scheme are:


The rent that you pay is calculated according to the local authority’s differential rent scheme. If your income increases, you will be asked for a higher contribution towards the rent.

Where to apply

Apply to your local authority. (Wicklow County Council)

Further information

The Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government publishes further information about RAS, including a set of FAQs for landlords and tenants.

Wicklow County Council is interested in leasing dwelling units from landlords for use as social units.

Landlords may contact the Council by telephone on (0404) 20120 or by email at ras@wicklowcoco.ie  

Short-Term Leases

Short-Term Leases are available through the Rental Accommodation Scheme.

  1. Expression of Interest form Landlord 2014 1

    File type .pdf

  2. Application form for Rental Accommodation Scheme 1

    File type .pdf

Suitability of Units for Leasing

Units are accepted where the Council has an established need. Landlords should consider the requirements of the following inspection format in satisfying themselves that the property is suitable.

  1. RAS Inspection Guide 2

    File type .pdf

Related Websites

  1. Rental Accommodation Scheme

    Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) is a social housing support introduced to cater for the accommodation needs of persons who are in receipt of long-term rent supplement.